December 8, 2010

Wonder

Day 4 of the Reverb10 project

I am taking my time with these questions and not pushing myself to answer and blog each day. I think it's important for me to sit with each one until the answer comes. 

December 4 Wonder
How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?
 (Author: Jeffrey Davis)


The biggest way I cultivated a sense of wonder this year was through photography. It makes me slow down and really notice where I'm at. It allows me to see all of the little details that create this magnificent world we live in.


 I can picture myself walking through the streets of Las Vegas this past spring. I was like a kid in a candy store. There was so much to see. I remember taking pictures of a sweet little flower bed outside of one of the hotels. The girls I was with kept telling me I'd seen nothing yet. They were taking me to the Bellagio and they knew I would love it. But at that moment, this little flower bed still held my attention and was worthy of another photo.

  As we went on our journey I was mesmerized at each new location – the Luxor, the MGM grand, M&M World, the Coke Store, New York New York, and the Paris Hotel.  I thought I'd seen a little piece of heaven when we walked into the M&M rainbow wall room – such organization and color – I loved it. I kept apologizing for slowing us down and taking so many pics. My friends kept saying "don't worry about it. Enjoy it!



 We dined at the super cool Hard Rock Café and as we stepped out in the darkness I was awestruck again. The Bellagio fountains had just started dancing to the music. We paused to watch that lovely show and then headed into the Bellagio. I literally stopped and could not move. The smell and colors overtook me. I'd never seen anything like it. I truly felt like I was walking through a storybook.


 I had so much fun with the settings on my camera, playing with depth of field and all the cool techniques I had been learning in photography class. I found a section full of poppies and shot them from every angle possible. I knew I was where I was supposed to be.



This experience taught me that I don't need to apologize for my paparazzi ways. They are a hard fought gift and they make me who I am. Yes I know I look like a tourist even in my own hometown, but that's the way I like it.

I also love teaching this skill of "wonder" to my children. After we put up the Christmas tree this year, I asked the boys to turn off all the lights in the house and sit with me on the couch. It only lasted a few minutes, but it was powerful. Hayden looked at the tree, looked at me and said "mommy it's so beautiful. I love Christmas". The wonder and peace in his eyes made me tear up. I thanked God that I was able to experience that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment