September 28, 2014

Around Here - Fall Edition

Have you felt the chill in the air or noticed the subtle yellow tinge to the leaves these days? Summer is gone and fall is upon us. The shifting always causes me to reflect and set new plans for the coming season. The past few months have been full of celebration, growth and creativity. That makes me happy. Here's what we've been up to.





Che and I journeyed to New Mexico to backpack at the Wild Rivers Recreation Area of the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument with the Sierra Club from OKC. We took our time and split up the drive, enjoying the scenery and stopping as we pleased. We made amazing friends that we hope to see again on future trips and took in the restorative beauty of mother nature. We camped at the top of the gorge for two nights and then along the Rio Grande river for two nights. We got absolutely filthy, absorbed the constant scent of pinion trees and sage, hiked about 15 miles (including a 1,000 foot climb up and down the gorge), laughed till our belly's hurt, found petroglyphs, learned how to cook meals with a tiny stove and metal bowl, learned about nature (did you know Ponderosa Pine trees smell like vanilla?), and yes I may have done some yoga where two rivers meet, that's kind of awesome! It was an incredible trip and I will never forget how amazing that hotel shower felt after 5 days in the wilderness.


On our way to Wild Rivers we stopped in Taos and visited the Earthship Biotecture Headquarters. We were even able to go inside some of these incredible structures. I fell in love. Building one of these technologically and environmentally progressive homes is now on my bucket list.

At home we have been doing a lot of celebrating!




Dylan and Hayden both have birthdays in September. Dylan is now 15 and Hayden 9.
Hayden and Dylan are both proud new owners of wheeled goodies. A new skateboard for Dylan and a sweet Schwinn scooter for Hayden. I love that the weather is perfect right now for getting out and enjoying them.


Che's granddaughter turned 6 and we've had two showers for the coming grand babies.
I am loving this new grandparent role. These girls are adorable and fun and I soak up every chance I get to spend time with them.



Roland has joined Boy Scouts! He went on his first campout last weekend and is learning so much about responsibility. I am thankful he has found an activity he can enjoy with his friends that has so many great benefits. There is even a chance he could travel to Hawaii next summer with his troop. Awesome!

Last week I received news that my step-brother passed on to the other side. I have not seen him in years and knew his life was challenging to say the least. Hearing of his death, brought me great sadness and allowed me to see into my own dark places. I am thankful for the therapy I have done over the years to learn how to love those heavy places inside of myself. I chose to paint out some of those feelings onto canvas. Once I finished I felt a peace and calm that I had not experienced in a few days. I wish my step-brother peace on his journey and pray that his soul can find rest. 



Once the painting flood gates opened, I couldn't turn them off. I finished a piece that I've been working on for a few months and my very dear friend is going to keep it safe for me over her fireplace. What an honor.


A few weeks ago I met up with some friends and set a new personal record at the See Jane Run 5k in Wichita. This the the first 5k I've done in under 30 minutes and I came in first in my age division. What??? I won a "run happy" sports bottle and socks. I wear them proudly.


I have rekindled my love for Yoga and started a home practice using Tara Stiles stralayoga videos. They are all about FEELING GOOD while you move; Opening and saying yes.

I have been Reading Paint Mojo by Tracy Verdugo and just finished The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. I found a free trial of Audible and started listening to Signature on my runs. I love it. I found myself eager to get out on the trail so I could enjoy the next part of the story - A double win.


This month I also said goodbye to the little condo that we called home after the divorce. I am thankful for that space and for the lessons learned in owning it. 


Poppy's Playhouse is rockin' along. I have two upcoming terrarium potting parties (one at the Retro Den in October - YES!) and a Dream catcher class in the works. I decided to go BIG with the dream catcher and used a hula hoop as the outer ring. Oh this is fun!

Jamestown Revival is a new to me band I found on Spotify. They are a blues/folk mix and I'm loving them. Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment